Monday, August 24, 2009

Stop the Insanity!

Whew. I have been enjoying my vacation like crazy. I truly needed this time away from work. But I feel like I have been kind of running non-stop the whole time, so far. Not that this was entirely unexpected. I mean, this was a "Get the Kids Back to School" Staycation. And that is always a very involved process...and rather expensive. Did you know a high school yearbook will set you back $75 nowadays? It would be even more than that if you didn't also have your $55 ASB card. Oh well...not really genuinely complaining. It was much worse the one year my three oldest sons were all at the high school. That must have been the year I sold off that one kidney...

Saturday was an especially busy day as Kick Back Dude and Princess Diva threw a combined birthday party for the babies, as their birthdays are only about three weeks apart.











Love Bug turned 2 August 10 and Little Prince will be 1 August 29.

That was a lot of fun, but it made for a really action packed day. Plus, that evening I got a last minute phone call from KBD and PD. They were having a little date to go see Inglourious Basterds and they kindly invited me along. I guess I was the chaperon, although I think I am way too late there. :-) In any case, I was so happy to be invited as I really wanted to see that movie. It seems to be inspiring lots of discussion...but you know me, I am no movie reviewer. I will just say that I found it quite thrilling. Prime Tarantino goodness.

Anyway, tomorrow is Back to School. After getting them off, my mom and I will have our annual celebratory breakfast. We've done it every year, often with my sister in attendance too, starting when Kick Back Dude entered Kindergarten. For years we dragged the remaining toddlers along with us, still happy to have one or two or how many ever back into school. And all the mommies are out, eating and smiling and talking slightly hysterically. Awesome.

Tomorrow's post? Probably will include a lovely photo of the wearing of the first day of school ensembles. But also, I would like to share with you a little love story. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

Tara said...

That's a nice tradition to have a back-to-school celebratory breakfast!

I'm curious about Inglorious Basterds. I recognized Eli Roth as one of the actors, and he was the one who directed the gore fest "Cabin Fever".

Looking forward to the next post!

crazy4coens said...

what a wonderful post. i love how you take time off from work for that ever important First Day os School. I also love the traditional breakfast out. you are a wonderful mother who seems to know how to take care of your kiddies and how to take care of yourself! and to have a mom in on it too! 3 generations! how wonderful!

also i would agree on the thrilling part of inglorious basterds. very tarantino.

no spoilers here.

NoRegrets said...

Oh, you are quite the tease.

laura b. said...

Tara: It has been a really fun thing to look forward to, our special breakfasts.
Eli Roth is very good in Inglourious Basterds...he has these soft, beautiful eyes...and then he...well, go see for yourself :-)

Crazy4Coens: Thank you so much for your kind words. Gave me a nice smile there. I have to say, too, that my mom is the best mom and grandma in the world..not to be preferential or anything. haha!

Yer gonna wanna take off that Nazi uniform some day, ain't yuh...

Pamela: Aw! Never gotten the chance to develop that particular reputation. Don't deny me now! haha!

FW said...

What a wonderful tradition you have going there! We have some friends whose children start school next week for the first time. It's a happy/sad/interesting time of life! I'm now looking forward to the next posting with intrigue.

laura b. said...

FW: Having five kids, with a total of 12 years from first to last has lent itself to my getting to experience many different stages in many different ways. It is all amazing.
Read on up, FW :-)

Sebastien Millon said...

Why are vacations usually more stressful than work??!!!

Ohhh, I want to see the new Tarantino! Still haven't gone yet, plans sort of fell through to see it today. Hopefully soon. Seems like a good movie to watch on the big screen.

I always hated getting textbooks in college, they fleece you so badly with new editions coming out every two weeks. It would be funny if it wasn't so damn expensive. I have a feeling the mafia has a hand in the textbook racket. I bet the margins are better than in prostitution and drugs.