Monday, September 8, 2008

And On the Seventh Day.....


...she watched tv, and was quite slothful. No, I didn't drink any Tru Blood, but I did watch the new HBO series True Blood. It is about a time in the near future, when thanks to the Japanese invention of perfect synthetic blood, vampires have decided to "come out of the coffin" and take their place among mortals. It was as graphically sexual and violent as we expect our HBO shows to be, but looking beyond that I did find it kind of interesting. One of the main ideas was that with the introduction of what basically amounts to a new race of people there are also new prejudices and crimes perpetrated either by or against vampires. In addition, there is that element of romance associated with hot young vampire men and mortal women. Teenage girls would know what I'm talking about. I will have to watch further to decide if it is a keeper for me, but I am intrigued enough to at least watch the next couple of shows to see where they are headed with it.

Otherwise, I didn't have much going on this weekend. I worked on Saturday and it was mondo busy. The day went quickly and when I went home dinner was all ready and waiting for me. Kick Back Dude and his growing clan had stopped by on their way home from Costco with a big package of steaks which they decided to share with us. Princess Diva cooked and it was all ready when I got there. Right after we ate they left, as the kids were tired. All that was left for me was the clean up, which is quite alright with me.

Yesterday, Sunday, I really didn't do much. Some laundry, some driving Girlie Girl and Handsome Lad around, a mini marketing trip...and me on the couch in front of the television with the air blasting. It has been incredibly hot here, but I was cool as a cucumber. Yes, that cool. In addition to True Blood I watched:
1. The Jazz Singer starring Neil Diamond. Just as fabulous as I remembered! ;-p
2. Big Love (a rerun)
3. Breaking Bad (another rerun)
4. Mad Men. Love this AMC series about Madison Avenue in the early 60's. It has a very authentic feeling and they try very hard to depict office and home life in that time accurately. It's rather horrifying in some ways.... Love it.

And that, my friends, is that! I hope you all had a good weekend and are ready to face the week with fortitude and courage! Go Team!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never watched any of these shows. It sounds like a good weekend, full of as much nothing as possible.

Anonymous said...

I might want to get HBO just for a show such as this....I used to have it and became addicted to the Sopranos, but since then, no HBO.

Busy weekends go by so quickly, don't they?

laura b. said...

AlienCG: They probably aren't your kind of thing, but I can be easy to please...especially when seeking relaxation...and doing as much nothing as possible :-)

Evil-E: Even with my skinflint budget, I am willing to pay for both HBO and Showtime for their original programing. I figure that pretty much constitutes my entertainment budget, so why not?
Busy weekends fly!

Churlita said...

I really want to see True Blood. I didn't know it already started.

That's one of my fantasies - that I'll come home from work and dinner will be all ready for me. I'd also like a ton of money and my house cleaned, but I'd settle for the food.

laura b. said...

Churlita: I can say it is definitely worth checking out. You know how HBO is, I'm sure you'll be able to catch it again this week.

It was like a fantasy, except for the loud children :-) My fantasies have gotten pretty simple like that.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I haven't heard of that show before now.. We hav the equivalent to HBO here.. called Showcase. I bet in no time it will be on here..

laura b. said...

Mrs: Is it something you'll be interested in? I won't do any spoilers!