This week’s Friday 5 is inspired by the party game called Taboo, in which players must make their teammates utter key words by giving them clues. The twist is that each key word is assigned five Taboo words, and players are forbidden from using the Taboo words in their clues. For example, one key word might be milk, and its Taboo words might be dairy, cow, drink, white, and carton. Your clue might be something like, “It’s a beverage from Bessie,” or “You add it to coffee,” or “The land of BLANK and honey,” or “It comes out of breasts.”
Your task is simply to answer these five questions without using any of the Taboo words or phrases. Challenge yourself not just to avoid using the words, but to think of fresh, new answers to these sort of cliched meme questions!
1. Who’s making a positive difference in your life? Taboo words: friends, family, husband/wife/spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend. I am making a positive difference in my own life with my continued, if sporadic, efforts to make connections outside of my own head.
2. Where would you like to be right now? Taboo words: home, bed, anywhere but here. Right now I would very much like to be visiting a distant friend.
3. What’s the first thing you’d do with a $5,000 (or your local equivalent) gift? Taboo words: save, debt, vacation, payments, invest. Well...I could go and visit that distant friend! :-)
4. What super-power would you really like to have? Taboo words: invisibility, x-ray vision, flying, strength, transform. How bout the power to kill a yak. From 200 yards away. With mind bullets! That's telekenesis Kyle! How bout the power...to move you? (with thanks to Tenacious D)
5. What’s your favorite sound?
Taboo words: laughter, music, ocean, wind, ____’s voice. The sounds that come out of people's mouths when they are saying nice things to me.
This was fun! You should play too. Because everything is more fun if it is a little taboo...