Thursday, April 24, 2008

We Like to Party. We Like, We Like to Party.

Ain’t no party like a Library Challenge 2.0 Task Completion party, cuz a Library…oh, forget it! Anyway, since January library staff has been working on this very elaborate series of exercises designed to familiarize everyone with useful internet tools. I mentioned it briefly here.
A couple of weeks ago, about half the staff managed to successfully complete all their exercises and blog entries in the prescribed time period. The other half of the staff gave up at some point. Us go-getters were treated to a little party today in honor of our accomplishment. There were snacks…everyone’s favorite was the chocolate fountain with banana slices, strawberries and graham crackers for dipping.
We each got this……for a little prize. I guess the odd amount had to do with whatever they had left in their ‘challenge’ fund divided by the number of people who completed the challenge. Tomorrow I’ma be spending $36 at Amazon – woot!
The bummer? I was not the winner of the Grand Prize drawing for $400 to spend at Amazon. But, hey, can’t win ‘em all. I think I spend my luck over at Alien’s Planet, with the trivia and all ;-)
Anyway, you can probably tell that I am feeling less worn down than yesterday. These things do pass and luckily for me, usually pretty quickly. So…what would you buy with $36 to spend?

10 comments:

AlienCG said...

I would buy a couple CD's or put it toward a new programming book. Just the usual geeky stuff. Thanks for the linkage.

Anonymous said...

Amazon is the home of hard to find metal!! $36.00 is a nice weird round number. Is there any significance to that amount, like an anniversary of something?

Tara said...

Woot indeed! Way to go with being a go-getter, Laura! You had me at "chocolate fountain"...Sigh...dreamy. Anyway, that $36 of Amazon money will be practice for you for the next challenge they throw your way. Then you'll win that $400 for sure. ;) Spend that card frivolously on fun stuff.

laura b. said...

AlienCG: Yes, I suspect that a couple of CDs may make it onto my shopping list :-)

Evil-E: I love Amazon. You can get pretty much anything there.
I think the amount is probably whatever they had left in their account divided by the number of people who finished the challenge. If we do this again, I am going to actively discourage people from finishing...

Tara: The chocolate fountain was awesome. Everything is better with chocolate. I accidentally got a little on one of my baby carrots...delicious. haha!

Churlita said...

it all sounds so good. Chocolate fountain, Amazon gift certificates and feeling better. I'm happy for you.

Churlita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura b. said...

Churlita: Thank you. My moods can turn on a dime, apparently.

David in DC said...

18 is the numeric value for the word "Chai", meaning Life, in Jewish numerology. (It's the root of the Hebrew toast "L'chaim".)

A gift of $36.00 or "Double Chai" is not uncommon for things like Bar Mitzvahs or donations in someone's honor, in the Jewish community.

Was the person doling out the honors Jewish?

Also, Chocolate fountain ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

if it was my last 36 bucks.. I would probably be responsible and buy something for Babykins Boy.. but if its not my last 36 bucks.. then I would still buy him something...

laura b. said...

DiDC: No Jewish members on this committee, but I like the idea. It is more interesting than it just being the amount left over in the account...

MrsBHW: Aw! You are such a nice mom! I am not even giving my kids a thought...this ones for me! ;-)