Saturday, April 19, 2008

Communication Let Me Down.

Do you recognize the song lyric? Probably not, unless you are a dork like me. It is a Spandau Ballet song that has been running through my head today...judge me if you must :-) It is because I am thinking about this week's Saturday Scavenger Shots word, COMMUNICATION. This week's word was chosen by yours truly. COMMUNICATION is important, don't you agree?

I listen to music to know that I am not alone

I read books to know that I am not alone
These are song lyrics too! They are from Shonen Knife - The Perfect World. Music and books are ways of communicating thoughts, feelings, facts, and fancies. The CD photo is one I have used in another Sat. Scav. at one time or another...but that's okay, because I really like music. The book I took this morning after I picked it up off the shelf to use for a photo shoot they are doing here at the library today called "My Favorite Book". The idea is for as many people as possible to be photographed with their favorite book. In truth, I'm not sure I can choose a favorite book. Books are a favorite COMMUNICATION medium of mine and I love many, many, many of them. The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler was what I chose for today, though. No matter how many times I read it, it continues to touch and move me.
Looking back, it bothers me a little that COMMUNICATION, as highlighted in my world, is so one sided....music and books are speaking to me...and I'm not required to speak back. Ah well. Make of it what you will.

For next weeks Saturday Scavenger Shots I am tagging NoRegrets over at Woman with No Regrets. So go on over and find out what she has planned for us!

Thanks for joining me in this form of COMMUNICATION - blogging!

9 comments:

Churlita said...

You communicate back with your blog. Lucky for us that you do. I loved your take on the prompt this week, by the way.

AlienCG said...

Very good word for this week. I agree with Churlita, you do use your blog for communication. Sometimes music and books can communicate better than most people. Very good take, Laura.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Excellent post on Communication.. I still need to find something for posting.. Books, television and radio are great ways to communicate to others.. I like your version of books and music.. so keep on talking...lol

dmarks said...

I love Anne Tyler's books. Great post.

I have mine up in my blog now.

FW said...

Maybe you should write your own book, they say everyone has it within them. I'm not sure everyone has the time though! At least your blog allows you to get your thoughts out there, and I'm glad of it, for one.

Anonymous said...

You always play so well...once again, good job. Your ideas were original as always.

Tara said...

Great photos. Now I have the Spandau Ballet song "True" stuck in my head. I love that song.

minijonb said...

i remember the original song... but of course i do, it's from the 80s...

laura b. said...

Churlita: I liked yours too...non-verbal communication :-)

AlienCG: It's true that sometimes books and songs have a sort of clarity that off-the-cuff conversations don't. Thanks, Alien.

MrsBHW: haha! Don't worry about me not communicating...seems I can't be stopped as long as blogging is around :-)

Dmarks: Isn't she wonderful?
I liked your take on this one too!!

FW: I fancied myself a writer since I was a little child, but don't seem to have the drive at this point in life...maybe one day. Thanks for you nice words!

Evil-E: Means a lot coming from you, so thanks!

Tara: My friend made me a "best of" Spandau Ballet cd. It is pretty catchy stuff, with a nice high cheese factor.

MiniJonB: Yeah! 80's music isn't easy to forget ;-)