Monday, April 7, 2008

Recent Viewings

I wouldn't go so far as to call these movie reviews, because as I've mentioned many times, I am terrible at articulating why I like or dislike something. Just a brief list of movies I've caught recently. It is brief, not so much because I am being considerate. It is more that I just haven't seen many movies lately! Even now, only one on my little list is one I actually went out to see and that is....
Run Fat Boy Run. I took Girlie Girl and Handsome Lad out with me last weekend to see this movie. We had all really liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, two other movies that Simon Pegg was in. This wasn't like those, but it was still quite funny. It also had a sweeter side. It was definitely a good light, fun movie that almost anyone could enjoy. Well worth the trip out ;-)
Alvin and the Chipmunks. Handsome Lad and I were hanging out on Friday evening together and he wanted to watch a movie. We went to one of those Red Boxes they have all over now. This was his choice and I was happy that he picked a cute kid movie because I don't get a chance to see them that often. I knew what I was in for with this one and it was about like I expected. It was actually entertaining in that mild, family friendly way. I kind of like Jason Lee too, so there was that...
Dan in Real Life. This one was my choice when Handsome Lad and I were choosing. I knew it wasn't a wacky Steve Carrell movie, but wanted to see it anyway. I had read somewhere that it had a heart and some genuinely touching moments. I watched it on Sunday and found it quietly pleasurable. Not much to it, but I did like the actors in it and also the sort of corny message about what a gift it is to find love.

And that's all I have for you today. Seen any good movies lately?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Run Fat Boy Run looks interesting and I did like that guy in "Shaun"...

Me and Renee discovered the Red Box a couple of months ago. Pretty decent idea and pretty cheap. It's a fast movie option for sure.

AlienCG said...

I too liked "Shaun of the Dead" and may like to see this new Pegg film. I really have no desire to see the other two movies. Thanks for the "reviews."

MrManuel said...

I'll probably see Fat Boy when it comes on video because I love Pegg. I have some new reviews coming this week too!

laura b. said...

Evil-E: Yeah, you should check it out. Its not like there is a lot going on in theaters right now...

AlienCG: You, too, should see it. As for the other two, yeah...one is kiddie and the other kind of a chick flick, so I get it.

MrManuel: I thought he did a great job in this movie. I love reading your reviews, so I'll be looking forward to that for sure.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

They all are all decent movies... I have yet to Run Fat Boy Run.. but it looks interesting enough for rent when its out on DVD...

Tara said...

I want to see "Dan in Real Life". I love Steve Carrell. He does a great job with serious roles, and he was excellent in "Little Miss Sunshine". I also loooooove Dane Cook. Doesn't he play his brother in the movie?

Churlita said...

I've only seen Alvin and The Chipmunks out of those. I might have to give the others a looksee.

laura b. said...

MrsBHW: Yes, it is something worth renting, if not going out for.

Tara: I really like Steve Carrell too, both in serious and funny roles. Yeah, Dane Cook is the brother and he actually was excellent.

Churlita: They are all totally ones you could watch with your girls if they wanted.

dmarks said...

Some day I will see a Steve Carrell movie or TV show. At least I know who he is.

laura b. said...

Dmarks: I guess his body of work is small, but respectable and growing. I did skip Evan Almighty though...