Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Blasts From Our Pasts

I don't collect old series on dvd or anything like that. I don't have the space, the organizational skills, the moola, although I do sometimes have the desire. Still, I can often catch old favorites on some channel or another, most often by chance. Indulge me while I share a couple of my favorite shows ever. They do age me, it's true. But I'm okay with that.

Kolchak: The Nightstalker
Carl Kolchak (super duper Darren McGavin) was always deeply afraid of the stories he was chasing...you could see it in his face! But he did it anyway, because that's what investigative journalists do. He was da man and I loved this show! I love it to this day. I even watched the remade version with Stuart Townsend in it. It wasn't the same, but I would have totally kept on watching if they hadn't cancelled it.

Emergency
Squad 51, Station 51. When you heard that over the loudspeaker, you knew it was time for the guys to go deal with another emergency situation. They ran lines of ringers lactate and sent readouts to hot nurse Dixie at the hospital. Johnny Gage (Randy Mantooth) and Roy DeSoto (Kevin Tighe) were adorable, but also trustworthy and oozing calm authority. These guys weren't tormented the way they are on medical shows now. They did their jobs and went home to enjoy cups of soup and magazines. My kind of guys.

Quincy, M.E.
Quincy (no first name), as portrayed by Jack Klugman (an awesome actor, BTW) was a man of passion! He cared about his dead people! Also, he appeared to be quite the ladies man. Some days I can catch this at lunchtime and it is always enjoyable. I like Quincy's assistant, Sam (Robert Ito) too. So sensitive, hard working, and cute. Listen to Quincy! When he says something is wrong, it is wrong! Don't worry though, even when you don't listen he preservers.

Thanks for taking another walk down memory lane with me. What are some of your old favorites?

8 comments:

AlienCG said...

I am a fan of the original Twilight Zone (the b&w series hosted by Serling). I also own all 9 seasons of the X-Files.

Tara said...

I vaguely remember "Quincy", I think I watched a few episodes once upon a time.

Anonymous said...

I will watch Sanford and Son sometimes on TVLand and almost hurt myself laughing.

I find myself getting stuck on CSI reruns once in a while. For some reason I cannot turn away sometimes.

NoRegrets said...

Really sad but I did like Hogan's Heroes.

Churlita said...

I was totally in love with Randolph Mantooth when I was a kid and have blogged about way too often. Sigh.

My ex-boyfriend and I used to catch reruns of Quincy together when I was in college. I loved how earnest he was all the time.

laura b. said...

AlienCG: I love the original Twilight Zone too! Somehow I never commited to the XFiles, even though it seemed interesting. Of course YOU would like it! ;-)

Tara: I liked and watched it originally, and am enjoying the reruns at least as much :-)

Evil-E: I'm comin' Elizabeth!
CSI is nice because you can sort of drop in and out of it.

NoRegrets: I know nothing!

Churlita: He was a handsome devil. All the ladies loved the Mantooth.
Yes, Quincy is so earnest! I love that too!

Dinah said...

Quincy and Sam were such a great pair. The crime fighting detective!

The only I show I have on DVD in its entirety is Arrested Development. But I do have about half of the X-Files seasons.

laura b. said...

Dinah: Who knew the Coroner's Office was so involved in crime fighting? haha!

I have all or Arrested D, too! It's my only series set!