Friday, May 20, 2011

My Baby's Birthday

I canNOT believe that my baby Daniel Handsome Lad is turning 14 today!  He graduates from Middle School in a couple of weeks and on to high school.  As always he will be greeted by many people who knew his three brothers and his sister...and they won't know what to expect :-) 

Here is a picture of Handsome Lad when he was just a little fellow...maybe four or so.
 My sweet baby :-)

As the youngest of five he has had a different set of privileges and problems than his older siblings.  It is disconcerting in some ways how well he gets on with older kids and adults...and at the same time, in many ways he seems younger to me than his brothers did at 14...probably because I am not comparing him to a 2 year old sibling :-)  It is typical.  The baby does stay a baby in mama's mind!


Here is Handsome Lad yesterday, driving his dad's truck out in the desert.  Not old enough to drive, of course, but there he is.  Still my sweet baby, I like to think...

I look forward to seeing what the next few years bring Handsome Lad's way.  I know high school will challenge him...hopefully in a good way.  I know he'll keep trying different activities until he finds the ones that really suit him.  He is fine young man and I'm so proud of him.  Happy Birthday Handsome Lad!

7 comments:

secret agent woman said...

Happy Birthday to him! (My baby is 14, too.)

Tara said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Handsome Lad!

I really love that first photo of you and Handsome Lad. :)

laura b. said...

Secret: Our little fellows are entering high school. That is such a step, isn't it?

Tara: Thank you! I like it too :-)

secret agent woman said...

Mine's an older 14, so he is finishing up his freshman year right now.

laura b. said...

Secret: That's right...I'm sorry, I know you mentioned that!

BrightenedBoy said...

Happy birthday to him!

Thomas just turned sixteen and one of my cousins just turned eighteen this month. It's hard for me to believe.

The time certainly flies.

It feels like just yesterday that I was fourteen years old and beginning the summer between middle school and high school, but that was in 2002, nearly a decade ago.

It defies imagination.

laura b. said...

BB: You are right about time...I surely does move quickly.
It is funny...at 48 I sometimes feel like I remember 14 almost better than I remember 44!