Monday, May 9, 2011

Jane, You Ignorant Slut

When I do posts on Monday, I always think of them in my mind as "weekend updates".  Then I think of that long time Saturday Night Live feature.  Then I think of Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain doing Point/Counterpoint...and that awesome line.  So, there you go!

My weekend was great!  I had a really peaceful quiet day on Saturday.  I was kind of isolated, but I think I was ready for a break from humanity :-)  I did get my grocery shopping done for my Mother's Day lunch, but aside from that I watched tv and read a lot.  In the evening Girlie Girl and I got a pizza and watched Black Swan.  She had seen it before, but I hadn't.  I have to say, that after everything I'd heard about it...I don't know...I guess maybe I was expecting something else?  It was weird and I got that it was showing someone losing their mind...but I can't say I liked it all that much, honestly.  And I was underwhelmed by Natalie Portman, who won an Academy Award for this role.  Clearly this is just me though!  I know the vast majority of people appreciated this movie very much.

Girlie Girl and me. Our big faces are ready to watch a movie together.

Sunday was a wonderful day with the family.  I hosted a Mother's Day lunch at my place.  It was very simple to set up, as I'd decided just to put out sandwich fixings.  Don't be fooled though...it is actually a rather pricey choice, with all the different meat and cheese I wanted to include.  It was worth it though, as everyone loves a good sammich, and as I said the simplicity can't be beat!  WTG brought some beans and guacamole that he'd made and my ma-in-law brought desserts.   The kids all came, except for Secret Agent Man, who had to work.  We all just ate and visited together.  It was lovely.  We started at noon and most everyone had gone by 4 pm.  After that, Girlie Girl and Handsome Lad went off on a hike together while I finished tidying up.   When they came back, we had some more sandwiches for dinner.


Handsome Lad shot from the trail with the city of Azusa below.
I hope that you all had a nice weekend as well.  At this point I've almost gotten through Monday even, and so far can't complain too much.  Should be smooooth sailing for the rest of the week.  Should be.  Yeah.

Oh!  And I know how busy 3GirlKnight is at the moment, so I hope no one minds that I just appointed myself work picker for this week.  The word is....FRUIT.  Dig it.

10 comments:

tattytiara said...

Definitely not just you, m'dear. I thought it was good in the so-bad-it's-good sense because it was about a woman who turned into poultry and started stabbing ballerinas and that's about it. I was so excited I saw it in the theatre, and bit my lip raw trying not to laugh. I just can't conceive of how this has become anything other than a cheezy cult classic.

Tara said...

Thank you for choosing the new word! It reminded me that there's watermelon in the fridge and I'll have that for dinner!

That sounds like a really nice Mother's Day weekend. I love the idea of getting sandwich fixings! I do know the price can add up, though.

Churlita said...

Happy belated Mother's Day.

One thing about watching Black Swan with your daughter...At least it makes us seem like perfect mom's in comparison....

laura b. said...

TattyTiara: You know, I hadn't thought of it in quite that way, but it does have a lot of camp to it!

Tara: Mmmmmmm...watermelon! Nothing like cool, refreshing watermelon.
The sandwiches were really good. If I didn't like everyone as much, totally woulda went with baloney and cheese-like product slices :-)

Churlita: Thank you!
And that is true. I thought, well, I'm not perfect, but at least I don't sleep in a chair in my daughter's room or scream at her to take off her shirt :-D

NoRegrets said...

happy belated mother's day!!! glad you had a good one...

laura b. said...

NoRegrets: Muchas gracias!

secret agent woman said...

I decided based on the previews, not to see that movie.

And that is one of my all-time favorite SNL lines.

laura b. said...

NoRegrets: Thank you!

Secret: Good call, really.
heh heh! Mine too, for sure.

BrightenedBoy said...

I really liked that movie!

Glad you had a good Mothers Day.

laura b. said...

BB: I know a LOT of people did. I just didn't get it :-)
Thank you!