I have to tell you guys all about our little adventure here at the library on Saturday. I'll give you a hint.
It was caused by this.
It seems a wire in a lighting fixture shorted, causing a fire, which began melting the fixture. The melting plastic fell to the carpet, which then also caught fire. It was back in the 900 section in the adult area and a patron noticed it first. He alerted staff and our handsomest Librarian used one of the many fire extinguishers around the building to douse the flames. An announcement was made and the alarm was set off, but you would not believe how difficult it is to get people to leave! Even if you are assuming it is a false alarm or a drill, you are still going to have to leave! Anyway, the fire dept. came just to blow out some of the smoke and make sure there was no further danger. We were only out of the building for about half an hour, then it was back to business as usual.
As always, it was a pleasure to see the Fire Fighters in their gear. I'm sorry, but it was. And it turned out to be not so bad as far as fires or other disasters go. And it gives the staff something to talk about endlessly...what could we have done differently? Could we be better prepared? Blah, blah, blah...but of course that is what you do, right? All I say is...If you are inside and you hear a fire alarm GO OUTSIDE! Seems like common sense to me, but I suppose that can be in short supply :-)