Monday, October 1, 2012

Oh My Gawd! Gag Me With a Spoon!

 Saturday night found me reliving that colorful decade known as the 80s. The first time around I went from 16 to 26. From being a high school student to being the mom of three. Quite a decade!

It was Totally 80s at the Hollywood Bowl. DR and I picked up a couple of sammiches at Subway, caught the bus, and got to the Bowl about an hour before the show started. We were able to relax in our seats before the crowds arrived to press in upon us. If you've ever been to the Hollywood Bowl, you know how they can work those bench seats to fully fill the place.

Me and DR enjoying the relative quiet before the storm of clarinet and keyboard and many surrounding bodies....

The first act was Bow Wow Wow. I literally know one of their songs. I Want Candy. Their other songs sound sort of similar. The things I like best about them are their Ant Music-like drums and the girl singer.

Next up, The Motels. They sounded good and  I know a few of their songs well enough to sing along a bit. Luckily, the noise level prohibits anyone else from hearing my gnarly voice traipsing alongside the actual tune. Martha Davis was in fine voice, but has apparently spent some time honing her stage presence under the tutelage of Liza Minnelli. Lots of wide-eyed drama going on.

The Psychedelic Furs were fun to hear and see. I don't remember being a big Furs fan back in the day, but apparently they were everywhere, because I know a lot of their songs. I'm pretty sure their music has made its way on to several soundtracks. Richard Butler is still really cute, I am happy to report. They played a good long set and were very well received.

The headliners were the Go Go's (I've been forced to ruminate on why they chose to spell their group's name in the possessive form). Those ladies were amazing. Their playing was tight, their voices were harmonious, and they were all beautiful! The crowd was crazy for them and there was so much singing and dancing in the packed Bowl. This was, for me, one of my less dance-y concerts. Not that the spirit didn't move me...but dang! This was a long show that came after a day of work. Maybe I was a little tuckered out. But I did enjoy the show very, very much.

Hope you all had a totally tubular weekend! It is supposed to be hot this week, at least in these parts, so send some cooling thoughts my way :)

7 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

That sounds like fun. I didn't recognize the groups, but I'm sure if I heard the songs, I'd know. Except the Go Go's, of course - I even had one of their albums.

Tara said...

Ohh, I would've loved that Bowl! I've never been to one of those! I love that shot of you and DR!

laura b. said...

Secret: Yeah, I think you'd recognize them if you heard them. I had not realized beforehand how many songs I'd know. It was fun :)

Tara: If you don't mind a big crowd it is great fun. There is something unique about the Hollywood Bowl experience for live music.
Thanks! I really like it too.

NoRegrets said...

Jealous! I love the Hollywood Bowl... Glad you had a great time. It was very way hot up here too...

NoRegrets said...

And yes, btw, you guys look great together.

FW said...

What a great concert to see! I think I would have enjoyed it too :-) Nice photo of you both

laura b. said...

NoRegrets: It's a great venue. And thanks for your kind words!

FW: I bet you would! Thank you :)