Saturday, July 28, 2007

Celebrating a Day Late - A Story About a Close Friend of the Opposite Sex

Since I wasn't here yesterday, I thought I'd take the opportunity to celebrate a Taraday and tell a story about a close friend of the opposite sex.
My closest opposite sex friend isn't a Work Husband. If I had to chose a Work Spouse, I'd have to go with my best girlfriend Milly...so at work, I have a same sex marriage! Very forward thinking of me, no?
I have known my best boy friend since I was sixteen years old. We became friends though other friends in high school, even though he is a year younger than me and was two grades behind me. He was my first lover (I know, creepy term, but "my first experience with sexual intercourse" isn't quite right either), but perhaps more importantly he became my view into the male mind. We don't see each other much these days as he lives a couple of hours away and we both have plenty on our plates. Still, I know that when I have a problem or just want to tell a funny story I can shoot him an e or give him a call and he is right on the same page immediately. It is valuable having someone I can talk to about anything, especially since he often provides me with new ways of looking at problems or events in my life. I try to do the same thing for him. So, here's to you Gerard, mi amigo caliente.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That photo is undoubtedly from the 70's with the clothes, the hair, and the wood (eh) paneling. I like it. I had to check it out full size.

I really like having a female friend around for the very same reason, they fill you in on "the other side's" perspective. It is too easy to to just take your own approach and thoughts on a subject and manage to screw it up somehow. The alternate point of view is always a helpful thing.

Churlita said...

I LOVE that photo. How awesome. I have a lot of male friends. I was never intimate with any of my close male friends, they are always good for perspective. You are lucky to have him.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Cool pic.. he is adorable.. Nice to know you can still rely on friends to help out or to listen to our woes..

minijonb said...

it's nice to know you have Gerard to share things with. i can't pull that off. for every time i managed to keep a relationship like that going, i've burned bridges really badly dozens of times.

laura b. said...

Evil-E: You are about right...that would be Dec. 1980, I believe.

Churlita: Thanks, I do too :-) And I do feel lucky to have stayed close with him.

BabyBull: He looks almost the same to me...less hair I guess. Don't know what I do without sympathetic ears.

MiniJonB: I have a few burned bridges of my own...I can definitely relate to that.

dmarks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.