Today's Taraday is about celebrating the 70's and I certainly couldn't pass that up! After all, as I went from 6 to 16 in that particular decade, you could say that it was my childhood...and oh, what a magical time it was! Okay, I'll grant you that the 70's may not bring to mind magic, but hey! That's my childhood you dissin'! Here are some things that I recall from those bad old days:
1) We had duck and cover drills at school, because the Cold War was still going on, along with the sad tail end of the Vietnam "conflict". We still feared "the big one" and Russia was the evil empire.
2) Watching Nanny and the Professor, Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch (my imaginary siblings), and The Partridge Family. Cartoons were pretty much restricted to Saturday morning, at least when I was young enough to care about cartoons...
3) We had a black rotary telephone in the den and a tan wall mounted rotary phone in the kitchen. You had to actually sit in the den or the kitchen to talk on the telephone. Didn't stop me from spending a great many nights in high school marooned in the den with that big black receiver pressed to my ear...wow, sounds almost hot, doesn't it? haha!
4) I remember my best friend's older sister ironing her hair, with an actual iron. By the time I cared much about my hair it was time for the Farrah bangs. I could rock them.
5) When I was in high school girls wore very tight, very high waisted pants. A popular brand was Dittos and there was this other kind that was designed to look like the top button was unbuttoned. WTF? Also, boys and girls wore really teeny, sort of silky shorts...like the ones Richard Simmons still wears!
6) At school dances there would be these face offs between Rock and Disco fans. Apparently there was no other genre worth mentioning in the 70's. You admired one or the other.
7) People typed things on carbon paper and used mimeograph machines for reproducing multiple copies. It was messy and if you made a mistake everyone knew :-)
So there you have it children. A genuine old-timey recollection of living in the 1970's. For those of you there, recognize anything? For those of you not yet born, are you at all jealous? haha!