Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'd Still Own the Film Rights and Be Working On the Sequel

As I have mentioned many times, this time of year is particularly busy in the public library world.  Our Summer Reading Programs are very important, both to us and to the community.  At our library we offer programs for kids, teens, and adults.  In the kids' program that I'm involved in, we have been registering people since June 13 and already have about 1,100 kids signed up and participating.  In a lot of ways I really love it and look forward to it all year.  In other ways, I get overwhelmed just thinking about it.

Anyway, I say this to explain what I have on my mind this particular Choose and Defend Wednesday...books.  I handle them all day, every day :-)  For someone who also loves to read recreationally, I have perhaps surprisingly limited preferences for what I want to read.  Since when I am reading for pleasure I want it to be...well, pleasureable...I don't tend to press myself too much into reading things I'm not naturally drawn to.  But let me hear from you!  I am going to give you THREE choices this time, which in the world of reading is still very limited....but of these three choices, what is your favorite type of book to read?

Historical Fiction

Mystery
OR

Science Fiction


Once you Choose, I'd be very appreciative if during your Defense you could name a favorite book of yours in the genre.   Thanks for sharing your love, or at least your tolerance, of reading with me.  Choose and Defend! 

11 comments:

silly rabbit said...

I'd go with science fiction. I enjoy the ability to go into a completely different reality. The more imagination required, the better!

secret agent woman said...

Hmmm. My top choice is just a regular novel. But of these three, I'm going to pick historical fiction. Not of the bodice-ripper variety, though, but one that clearly has solid research behind it.

Tara said...

I'll choose Mystery out of those three. James Patterson writes some great mysteries. I don't have any interest in the other two; especially Sci Fi. Now Horror, that's another story! :)

dmarks said...

Scifi for sure. Never got into mysteries.

AlienCG said...

Sci-Fi is always a favorite of mine because it has tendency to get me out of the current time period and even off this planet. It does, of course, have to be good science-sci-fi.

NoRegrets said...

Oh my. Three of my least favorite. Ok, I take that back. I was addicted to science fiction and I suppose I would go back to that.

laura b. said...

Silly: Yeah! I thought you like SF :) Do you have a favorite book or series? One for Science Fiction.

Secret: I am a straight novel sort of person as well. But I like to hear about other stuff that people like. One for Historical Fiction.

Tara: I've read a few James Patterson books. He can really turn a page, that's for sure! One for Mystery.

Dmarks: Yes, I suspected as much about you! Favorite book or series? Two for Science Fiction.

AlienCG: Yes, good point. Another reality, but still...science! Three for Science Fiction.

NoRegrets: I have to say I will barely take the time to look at anything besides non-genre fiction, but I sometimes thing I should try new things. Four for Science Fiction.

Everyone: To me, very interesting results. A couple of you were like me and not a huge fan of any of the three but made a choice anyway and I appreciate that! So far Science Fiction is out in front with 4 votes, with Historical Fiction and Mystery each garnering 1 vote. Anyone else want to Choose and Defend? Please do!

dmarks said...

Laura:

Easy to answer:

"The Saga of Pliocene Exile" series by Julian May. I read it in the mid 1980s.

"Hyperion Cantos" by Dan Simmonds. Came out a lot more recently.

These are the two best. I turned Rob onto "Hyperion", and he agreed with me pretty much. Click here for his review.

laura b. said...

Dmarks: Thank you so much for the recommendations! I am trying to expand my reading parameters. I do think a science fiction version of Canterbury Tales sounds particularly interesting!

Churlita said...

I too mostly just read fiction and short fiction. Out of those choices, I'd say historical fiction.

laura b. said...

Churlita: Those are definitely my usual choices too. Two for Historical Fiction.

4 - 2 - 1
SF - HF - M