Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy Adulthood Day to My Darling Daughter

Once again, I am left flabbergasted that my kids just keep getting older!  Good thing I don't.  :-)   My one and only Shelly Girlie Girl is 18 today.  She says she's going to go buy a bunch of scratchers...I guess there really aren't that many priveleges that come with 18, but there are responsibilities...at least in theory.  But as far as being responsible, I don't worry too much about Girlie Girl.  She is a very responsible person as a rule.  She is also, extremely social and funny.  I am always amazed when we are out in the world together at how easily she talks to anyone she comes across and she always leaves them smiling.  I know that things aren't always easy for her.  As I mentioned, she does have a lot of friends and we live in an area where the average income is....considerably higher than ours, lets say.  So she has to do without some of the things her friends are given.  She seldom complains, though, and I appreciate that.  I hope she will someday appreciate the things  she had to work a little harder for.  In the picture, she is shown between her two BFFs (BFsF?).  It was Bad Xmas Sweater Day at school and they are hard at work in ceramics.  Happy Birthday, Girlie Girl!  Can't wait to see all that you will get to experience in the boundless life ahead of you! 

13 comments:

secret agent woman said...

What are scratchers? Things have changed since the age of drinking was 18, but she still does now get the privilege of voting (both a privilege and a responsibility).

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

MrManuel said...

Sounds like she has her head on straight to me. Good luck with adulthood!

Tara said...

You raised her well, LB! Happy Birthday, Girlie Girl!

I love that photo - Christmas sweaters, friends and pottery are a great combination! :)

laura b. said...

Secret: Scratchers are those stupid scratch off lottery tickets. Ugh.
Yeah, I think voting is a much more worthy thing to look forward to :-)

MrManuel: She really does, thanks!

Tara: Thank you, Tara :-)
I was looking through her photos and that wasn't the most perfect one...but it was the most perfect one of her, if you know what I mean.

dmarks said...

Yeah, sounds like you raised her right!

FW said...

Happy birthday to your Girlie Girl! Hope she carries on enjoying herself as she has been. She has a great mother too!

laura b. said...

Dmarks: I wish I could take more credit :-)

FW: I hope she does too...I love her joy. And thank you *blush*

3GKnight said...

Happy Birthday Girlie Girl!

laura b. said...

3GK: Thank you! We had a nice family birthday dinner last night :-)

Churlita said...

Happy birthday, Girlie Girl! It sounds like you raised a very self-possessed young woman and that's hard to do.

We live in an area where people are WAY more affluent than we are too. I can't believe the money and things these high school kids have...

Pamela said...

Glad she's a wonder. It is indeed great. And um, we did scratch off tickets when we were 4 or 5!

laura b. said...

Churlita: I am very proud of her and don't honestly know if I had much to do with any of her better traits!
Yeah, the money situation is crazy around here. Her best friend drives around in a brand new SUV.

NoRegrets: Indeed! What! No, this is gamblin'...you can't do that legally when you're 4 or 5! What were you folks up to where you come from? haha!

BrightenedBoy said...

Happy 18th to her!

My experience has been that the gap between 18 and adulthood is pretty large.

She still has some kid time left.