Saturday, October 29, 2011

Friday 5 (on Saturday) - Repellent

Lately, although I have things to say, I seem to have trouble putting together a coherent blog post.  This sort of block is one big reason why I love memes like Friday 5 , which is one of my very favorites to use.  Seems appropriate that right before Halloween the theme would be "repellent". Even though it is Saturday, please enjoy some Friday 5 soul searchin'.  Play along in comments if you like!!!

1. What’s something you enjoy eating that many others would be grossed-out by? My tastes are quite non-exotic, so it is hard to imagine anyone being grossed out by my food.  Still, my deep love for ranch dressing and/or french onion dip and my willingness to put them on most anything MIGHT be a teeny bit gross to some ;-)

2. Which of your personal traits is most likely to make others want to avoid you? The french onion dip? Maybe. I wonder sometimes if my shyness keeps me from seeming approachable. I tend to look down at a book or my phone in situations where I am on my own. Yet, I do seem to attract those people looking for someone to talk to...endlessly...

3. If you could wear a bracelet that had the power to keep certain kinds of people away from you, what kind of people would you repel? I would want to repel people looking to spread their negativity and ugliness to others. I'd never again be subjected to a weird, random, bigoted rant...BE GONE!

4. We are all capable of overcoming our biases, of course, but what’s a physical trait (in others) that pretty much turns you off? Not that you run into this often, but I have to look away from those really muscle bound guys...like super body builder types.  The distortion of the musculature is unattractive to me.  Also, don't mind some extra weight...I myself am not the slip of a girl I once was! But, you know, hugely obese? No thank you.

5. When you feel a case of the blues coming on, what do you do to fend off the bad feelings? Too much solitude tends to bring on the blues.  Not that I don't love my "me" time...but too much seems to lead to darker thoughts.  If I feel myself getting kind of weepy and down, if I can't actually get together with someone, I try a phone call or even interacting with someone online. The human connection repels the blues for me.

Hope you're all having a great weekend repelling what needs repelling...and more importantly attracting what needs to be attracted! Be thee like the magnet!

4 comments:

secret agent woman said...

First, "Too much solitude tends to bring on the blues. Not that I don't love my "me" time...but too much seems to lead to darker thoughts." is completely true for, too.

And the one about the physical repulsion got me - I have many morbidly obese patients so I guess I'm used to that. But what repels me is things like runny noses, drool, and so on. Blech.

laura b. said...

Secret: That's funny...I work with kids and do storytimes specifically for toddlers, so I am quite okay with some snot and drool :-D

secret agent woman said...

I meant in adults.

laura b. said...

haha! Yes, I assumed so. I thought I was being funny, but perhaps not...