Monday, January 28, 2008

I Am Full of...Something


Good ideas! Yeah, thats it! It seems like when someone casually throws out that they are looking for something to blog about or they are wondering what they can talk about with someone they are just getting to know. "Oh, write about this!" I say with quick confidence. "Ask him about his this and that. Tell him about that time you blah-di-blah," I assert with conviction. In what is probably a typical complication though, I cannot give myself advice. Why is that? I like to think of myself as pretty intuitive and I do think that people think of me as someone they can talk to about anything. Why is it, though, when I need advice, nothing comes to me...or if it does, I just know I am going to disregard it and do all the wrong things? Why can't the outside me be as clever and quickwitted as the inside me? Maybe someday the two of me can get together and work this out, but until then feel free to ask for my advice. It will probably be pretty decent! Just do as I say, not as I do.

7 comments:

AlienCG said...

Unfortunately, we are our own worst psychologist. Sometimes we just need to talk to somebody not necessarily about the advice we need. This seems to help stir up our thoughts and allow us to solve our problems.

Tara said...

You need to role play with yourself and act as if a stranger is asking you for advice, and then give yourself the advice thinking it's somebody else...Or something. But then if you talk to yourself out loud, you have a whole other set of problems. ;) I give relationship advice to people, and I haven't been in one for a long time. Then I wonder..."Where did that advice come from??"

Anonymous said...

I have just been letting go with the posts. If it hits my brain, I try and spit it out. I have one small bit of advice: Keep a small notebook with you or email yourself a reminder when you get an interesting thought.

I just did a post recently as a result of a lightning bolt in the middle of the day. I sent the idea to myself at home. Fortunately I did this. If I had not, the post would have never come about because I forgot until I saw the email.

laura b. said...

AlienCG: I think you are right...often it isn't concrete advice that is the most helpful...and it is likely that talking to ones self isn't as good as talking to someone else.

Tara: You bring up an interesting point. Just because you aren't experiencing something doesn't mean you can't have great and useful thoughts about it, right?

Evil-E: Good reminder. I often think that I need to strike while the iron's hot. I could easily make a note or two instead of assuming it will come to me later...because it seldom does:-)

Churlita said...

It's so much easier to be objective about someone else's life when you're on the outside looking in. I'm bad about for myself as well...And don't even get me started on the bad relationship decisions I've made throughout my life.

Viki said...

Maybe you shd ask someone else for advice. You might end up hearing the samething the inside you is telling but from someone else....

laura b. said...

Churlita: The objectivity issue can't be stressed enough. If I saw a friend making some of the decisions I've made, I would so call them on it.

Viki: You just hit upon one of the best reasons for keeping a blog. It is a great source of advice from people who are not me! :-)