Tuesday, February 14, 2012

All Laura, All Day

haha! It's not really. I am actually at work all day. And to further the indignity, it is my late day! I will be toiling away until 9:00 tonight.  Still, as you know it is Valentine's Day. And as anyone knows who pays attention to my not at all subtle hints, it is also my birthday today. Even at my age (49 today, thank you very much) I still get kind of excited on "my" day. And all I had to do was emerge from the womb.

On Sunday, we had our Jan/Feb birthdays family brunch. I was so happy to receive a bit of cash from my parents. They know what I need :)
Today when I picked Handsome Lad up for school he gave me his gift, and also one from his dad. Handsome Lad got me a very lovely watch. He's a man who still appreciates a nice time piece and I appreciate that! WTG, who for years bought anything I ever wore, got me a pair of pants, a tee shirt, and some boots.  He's one of the few people I know who can confidently buy clothes for other people.

A couple of days ago, Girlie Girl mentioned that she may make dinner for me tonight. That would be very nice...we'll see...she's a busy girl. haha! If she doesn't make a meal, I am fairly certain I will at least have a delicious cake prepared by DR. He has been cooking for me for the past week, since he's been back, and I can't tell you what a treat it is. As I've said many times, I don't particularly like cooking...but eating...yeah, I'm into that.  And I know it is all sappy and stuff, but for reals, having DR with me is like the best present ever.

My little bear friend just came by my desk to give me this -

In case you can't tell, it is a "cake" made of three chocolate waffles stacked up. This cake also features a charming banana smile, chocolate candy eyes, and Almond Roca eyebrows.  Fancy!  She also gave me two movie tickets and the most awesome tee shirt.

So, so far, in spite of being at work, I am having a fabulous birthday / Valentine's day! And I know it is kind of silly, but I get SUCH a kick out of FB wall wishes, stuff on twitter, and in the blog world (thank you Tara!)  I feel so loved!

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you! Don't think of it as an awful greeting card holiday. Think of it as: 1) Another day to tell the people you love that you love them.   2) My birthday ;-)

9 comments:

silly rabbit said...

I think that its great that your birthday falls on Valentine's Day. I can't think of anything more special that says "love" for a mom and dad.

Keep that cook! Er... I mean "man"! But I bet he's a gift in many ways too.

That cake keeps whispering that it wants me to eat it. =:/ So yummy!

I have friends who do not celebrate this holiday or are single. I never know what to say to them. But I think you hit that nail right on the head... its a great day to let the people you love know, but not the only day.

For a dancing bear, you're pretty wise.

3GKnight said...

Awesome cake! Happy Valentines Day.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Very sweet.. Love that your little bear friend was so kind and thoughtful..

Again.. Many Happy Returns!

Churlita said...

Ha ha. I know I always say this, but you and my mom share a birthday. it is a day that made awesome women.

I hope it was amazing!

laura b. said...

Silly: I like my Valentine's birthday. It isn't like having to compete with Christmas or something so major!
DR is definitely gifted and a gift :)
You're very kind, Silly Rabbit! Thanks for being here.

3GK: Thanks! I would say I hope you had a good one, but you don't strike me as the Valentine's type :)

Mrs: She is very thoughtful and creative.
And thank you!

laura b. said...

Churlita: We were commenting at the same time!
I am honored to share a birthday with your mom! I can tell from photos that she was beautiful and from your words that she was amazing.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I boycott Valentine's but I am happy to wish you a very happy birthday! (Okay, belated now, but that's because I did an all-out internet strike yesterday).

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm a day late, but I hope you had a fabulous birthday!

Tara said...

Mm, that cake looks yummy!

It sounds like you had a fabulous birthday, even if you had to work. I had to work on my birthday last year (I think), and I felt all special and stuff.