Monday, July 9, 2012

Friday I'm in Love

Did you guys have a good weekend? Mine was a'ight. I was off on Friday, so I went with DR to visit with his mom and sister. We ended up going to Newport Beach for lunch and some walkabout. DR's sister kindly treated us all to lunch...eating out is a rare treat these days! After lunch we walked down the pier. Here is what we saw -



That pelican had a whole scam going with the fishermen.  He probably hasn't caught his own fish in ages :)  He would even let people pet his head...but I still didn't care to get close enough to do that.

I love looking out at the ocean. There is something very soothing about it. This is not to say that I would enjoy being out at sea with nothing but water all around me. That doesn't seem soothing at all! But looking out from dry land, yeah, that is good.

I enjoy being around DR and his family together. They seem very close, which is nice. His sister has one of those challenging marriages and they all seem inordinately annoyed all the time with the youngest boy in the family....but aside from that I am very comfortable around them.

Anyway, that was a fine, fine day! I'm keeping that one on the books :)


10 comments:

3GKnight said...

Good day! I'm glad you enjoy it. I miss the coast. It's a nice place.

silly rabbit said...

It does sound like a great day! I love being at the ocean and all that entails does indeed soothe me.

Its great that you get along well with his family and are comfortable. I think all families have those in the family that they stress over. Family babies are often that one. But its generally love behind the issue.

FW said...

Being comfortable with your partners family is quite important I think. It can be a source of stress in its own right. Glad you had a great day! The ocean does look beautiful but remembering the film Jaws, I appreciate your point of view about being out there surrounded by water!

BrightenedBoy said...

I've grown up with the Atlantic Ocean close by and it's striking in its way, but the Pacific has a really breathtaking beauty.

If the Atlantic is the province of fishermen and grizzled seamen then the Pacific is where summertime fantasies live.

laura b. said...

3GK: For as close as I am, I don't get to the beach nearly enough.

Silly: The air, the steady waves...aaahhh!
And you're right. I can't begin to know the true source of their family quirks. At heart it is good :)

FW: And for my partner to value his family seems like a good sign too.
haha! Yes, Jaws still haunts many of us near the ocean. Something about being completely out at sea is very unnerving to me.

BB: There is that whole California Dreaming type of culture. The beaches are beautiful in so many ways. I have never seen the Atlantic in person. I have a blogging friend who posts photos from her vacations and it seems like there are a lot more little sea creatures that make their way to shore. Very interesting.

Secret Agent Woman said...

"one of those challenging marriages" made me laugh.

Would I be that Atlantic sea creature poster? Navy brat that I am,, I've loved on the Pacific coast, the Gulf Coast, and both he northern and southern Atlantic coasts. And I've also visited coastlines in Africa, Europe and Australia. Each has its own particular charms, but I can't agree that the Pacific is uniquely striking. They all are wonderful. I suspect it's just that familiar things are well, familiar. And therefore possibly less interesting than some place new and unfamiliar.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Ahem. I've lIved on the Pacific coast. A chronic typo of mine.

Secret Agent Woman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela said...

Yay! I love ocean photos too. I may put them up all over my wall.

I thought his mother was back east? Or, she moved too?

laura b. said...

Secret: You are the mystery poster! Yes. I have never lived anywhere else or had the opportunity to travel, so I have nothing to compare the Pacific to, in a personal way. It is all I know and there is beauty in its familiarity, I'm sure.

NoRegrets: I should have some in my cubicle!
She does still live in NC. She was out for a visit, but has returned home now.