Monday, March 12, 2012

Cash is King and Winner Takes All!

It has been a rather long Monday. For the first time in quite awhile the alarm woke me up. That is just due to the time change...the darker mornings fool me for awhile...but it is well worth it for the light later in the day. I LOVE that it is still light when I get off work at 6 pm.  Not that I am a riot of activity necessarily, but there is just something disheartening about walking out into the dark every day.

We had a really nice weekend.  Yesterday (Sunday) was pretty quiet. It was a good day for just lazing about.  On Saturday, however, DR and I went off on a little adventure.  Recently, we've become rather addicted to Storage Wars. Anyone ever watch it? It's pretty entertaining. Anyway, when DR saw that some of the people that they feature on that show were going to be at the Orange County Marketplace (a giant swap meet) he suggested we go out and have a look around.

It turned out to be a good idea.  We got to meet Darrell "The Gambler" Sheets and his son, Brandon -

We also met Jarrod and Brandi -
They are the kind of "celebrities" it is sort of weird to meet. They are only recently recognizable to the public, I think, and still aren't very adept at doing the meet and greet. They were all nearly as shy as we were!

After we had our little photo session, DR and I cruised the many stands set up. I do like a swap meet...more for looking than for buying. DR did end up buying himself some new sunglasses and a pair for me as well.  We also got this very pretty wind chime made of colorful squares of shell. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Hope you all had a good weekend too. Let's all enjoy the extra evening sunlight and be glad of the arrival or eminent arrival of Spring!

9 comments:

silly rabbit said...

I have seen that show a few times. Very cool that you got to meet them and that they agreed to pictures. Sounds like a great weekend to me.
I love wind chimes.

Tara said...

My mom watches that show, and we were kind of joking about how she could put some of her own stuff in storage and have people bid on it. Not really a bad idea, she has some great stuff!

I like those events too, especially when things are set up at the fairgrounds just 15 minutes away.

Anonymous said...

My Dad watches this show sometimes, I'll watch a bit of it here and there if I'm home. It's kind of interesting though I'm more of a fan of American Pickers and Pawn Stars.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I've never seen it, but it sounds like a fun day.

laura b. said...

Silly: I love my actual two-days-off-in-a-row weekends. The weeks I work Sat. and have Fri. off are less satisfying :)

Tara: DR was joking that some of the more tidy Hoarders people should meet up with the Storage Wars people...everyone wins!

Silver: Yeah, I like American Pickers and Pawn Stars too! I swear, I do other things besides watch tv. haha! :)

Secret: It was a fun day, thanks!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Gosh its sbeen years since going to a swap meet.. but very cool to meet the Storage peeps...

I love finding odd things at the flea market/swap meets..ya never know what you will find!

laura b. said...

Mrs: I hadn't been to a swap meet in a while either. This made me want to go a bit more often though.

NoRegrets said...

Wow, that is a bit weird. Not that you did it, but they are so close to 'normal' yet not... Did they say how much the show exaggerates them? Not at all? huh.

laura b. said...

NoRegrets: haha! They were not very talkative :) I have heard so many stories about how set up that show is and believe them all. It has to be! But we still watch...