Saturday, December 7, 2013

Stay Alive Until You Die

It is a TRADITION here at What Fresh Hell is This? to post weekly Saturday Scavenger Shots. Today is Saturday, so here I am. I chose this week's word - TRADITION. I guess I chose this word, mostly as a nod to the season. Lots of TRADITION surrounds Christmas and other winter holidays.

Here are a couple of nods to TRADITION from my house.

Here is our little Christmas tree. A TRADITION in many homes. When I was a child, the TRADITION was to go out to a local Christmas tree farm and get a fresh cut tree. So much fun! As I raised my own family, the tree TRADITION varied from year to year depending on finances. But we did always manage something! It is TRADITION after all. Now that my children are fairly grown and I'm living in a fairly small apartment, we have a fairly small artificial tree. I still think it is very pretty and I enjoy carrying on this particular TRADITION in this smaller way :)

Here is a kind of fuzzy picture of DR and I wearing seasonal elfin hats after returning home from the City's holiday party. Going to the party has been a TRADITION for me for the past 11 years. Wearing goofy hats for Christmas photos is a long TRADITION! Being happy is a TRADITION I highly recommend.

I am, for the most part, kind of Scrooge-like. Christmas tends to make me feel pressured and anxious. But I do, at heart, enjoy the TRADITION that surrounds this time of year. And I will be happy when I've experienced each one and can look back on it fondly :)  

I will go ahead and tag Jasen to choose next week's word. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

We have the tree tradition, too. Right now mine is bought, but standing unadorned and waiting on the kids. It smells good, though!

AlienCG said...

YOu have some fine TRADITIONS there. I have a narrow, 6-foot tree that I got for $5 after Christmas at Wal-Mart one year. I don't wear an elfin hat, but I do a wear a Santa hat.

laura b. said...

Secret: There are things I miss about a live tree. The smell is one.

Jasen: Shopping the after-Christmas sales for Christmas items is the best! Santa baby, a '54 convertible too, light blue... ;-)